History of North Caldwell
In 1701, North Caldwell was part of a large tract of land which was purchased by a group of colonists from the Sagamore Indians. The tract was known as “Horseneck” and remained so until 1798 when it was officially named Caldwell Township. North Caldwell continued as part of the Township for 100 years.
Since the beginning in the early part of the eighteenth century, North Caldwell has served as a fine example of the charm and simple pleasures of suburban life. The Borough of North Caldwell enjoyed a reputation for a healthy climate and was called the “Denver of the East” and attracted many people during the summer. The Borough of North Caldwell was incorporated in 1898.
North Caldwell is a haven that is the “green jewel” of Essex County with beautiful homes on its hilly, wooded roads. Other than modest commercial activity on the northern and southern ends of town and two townhouse locations, the Borough’s land use is dominated by single family homes. Our residents demonstrate their commitment and love of the community through involvement with organizations like the North Caldwell Historical Society, Senior Citizens Organization, coaching sports teams through our Recreation Department, or the North Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department as well as membership on various boards and committees.
For further local history, please enjoy this wonderful holiday memory of Christmases past in our Borough: "Christmas in North Caldwell, New Jersey" by Ralph DeCamp.